Fattoria di Basciano is the estate owned by the Masi family since the beginning of 1900. It is located right in the heart of the Chianti Rufina area, on the top of a hill overlooking the Argomenna valley on one side, and the right bank of the Sieve river on the other. The vineyards are at an elevation of 300 meters above sea level, lying on a very stony soil, locally known as ―Galestro‖. The micro-climate is ideal for the ripening of the grapes. It is dry and breezy, marked by scarcity of rain and a remarkable range of night and day temperatures in summertime. The extension of the property is of 70 Ha, divided in 30 Ha of vineyard, 20 Ha of olive trees, and 20 Ha of forest. In the last fifteen years the ownership has been engaged in a program of research for the highest quality. These efforts lead us to invest consistently, by planting new vineyards and building a new winery for the vinification and the ageing in barrel of the wine.
In the rooms of the Fattoria, a recently restored ancient guard tower which dates back to the 13th Century, we lead an activity of high-level Agriturismo.
List Of Wines
- Chianti Rufina D.O.C.G.-This is the basic wine of the Fattoria, yet our research of the highest quality applied to all our vineyards, not only the most suited ones.
- Chianti Rufina Riserva D.O.C.G.-The Riserva is produced in very good vintages only, from a selection of the best Sangiovese grapes of the Fattoria.
- Vigna IL Corto-This is a single vineyard, or cru, that is planted on the south-eastern slope of the property, on a soil of medium consistency rich in stone. The vineyard is comprised of 90% Sangiovese vines and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon vines
- I Pini-After several years of testing the growing of non-traditional grape varieties, and then experimenting with new blends, a new wine was born in 2003. Equal quantities of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah are used to allow for the best expression of the terrior at Fattoria di Basciano.
- Chianti Ruffina Docg – Fattoria di Basciano (mywinechannel.wordpress.com)