Retromarcia is a Chianti Classico made from Sangiovese (95%), Merlot (3%) and Canaiolo Nero (2%) grapes. A large proportion of the grapes come from vineyards consisting of shale (Galestro), limestone (Alberese) and sandstone (Arenaria-Calcare-Pietraforte), and are, on average, ten years in age. The vinification and maturation is reminiscent of a more traditional style Chianti Classico; the result is a fresh and fruity, medium-bodied, well-balanced wine, with a nice structure, juicy acidity and a long finish.
The Italian word Retromarcia has come to mean more to us than its literal translation “to back up” or “to reverse”; ever since we arrived in Panzano, it has been our aim to produce intensely typical and expressive wines from Tuscany’s historic zone – Chianti Classico. With the name Retromarcia, we are emphasizing a return to the natural elegance and charm of Sangiovese.
Via Monte Bernardi
- Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva 2007 wine review by (PB) (winecask.blogspot.com)
- Val Delle Corti – Chianti Classico harvest 2013 (italianwineimporters.wordpress.com)
- San Felice Chianti Classico 2010 (thebuddhainyourglass.com)
- Brown wine (2000 Berardo Chianti Classico reserva) (atfirstglass.com)
- Castelgreve Chianti Classico Riserva 2009 (canadianwineguy.com)