#24 position on Top 100 Wine Spectator of 2013
This famous family-owned winery has been making great reds for generations with outstanding depth of fruit and sublime finish. The strength and elegance of this wine show why Livio Sassetti is considered by both critics and peers to be a benchmark producer
Production Area: Montalcino (Siena), Montosoli sub-zone
Appellation: Brunello di Montalcino DOCG
Varietal blend: 100% Sangiovese Grosso
Soil: Mixed limestone and silica rocks.
Vineyards: Southeastern exposure at high elevation above sea level. About 16 hectares planted with Sangiovese. Farming: Organic
Harvest: mid-, by hand.
Vinification: Fermented under controlled temperature in stainless steel tanks for ~15 days, with 8-10 soft daily pump-overs
Aging: Three years in Slavonian oak barrels (30HL) and 6 months in the bottle
Production: ~2,500 cases
Alcohol 13.5 %
Tasting Notes: Gorgeous nose of ripe berries; full bodied succulent wine with well integrated tannins to compliment the long, long finish.
Food Pairings: Wild boar, tomato based sauces with pasta, braised meats, bisteca
Price 30 E Score 94
- More Brunello (wineliferadio.com)
- Rosso di Montalcino (nov14th.wordpress.com)
- Taste the Brunello and “your eyes will roll back in your head”. (montalcinoreport.com)
- A Tuscan Winery Tour at Castello Banfi in Montalcino Italy (vino-con-vista.blogspot.com)
- Brunello di Montalcino (nov14th.wordpress.com)
- Sangiovese the Grape (wineliferadio.com)