#80 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2013
Varieties : Sangiovese ( 50%), Merlot (25 % ) ;
Cabernet Sauvignon ( 25%).
Viticulture : Biodynamic (since first planting , 1997).
Average production: 130,000 bottles ( 10.833 cases ) .
Appellation : IGT Maremma Toscana
First vintage : 2005
Average alcohol content: 13.5 % vol .
Ideal serving temperature : 14-18 ° C ( 57-64 ° F).
The grapes are picked by hand and harvested Based On Their phenolic maturation , using small crates . In the cellar, they undergo fermentation in stainless steel vats. After Malolactic fermentation, the wine undergoes Elevage mostly in cement vats until it is blended to be bottled . A small selection of the wine is matured in oak barrels for ten months and then added to the final blend. Mongrana is the quintessential expression of the colors , sights and sounds of the Maremma region: fruity and intense , fresh and embracing , the wine ITS takes name – and Its character – from That of the noble family of knights depicted by the Italian Renaissance poet Ludovico Ariosto in His epic masterpiece Orlando Furioso ( “Mad Orlando “).
Mongrana is produced without using any animal
products or byproducts . Therefore it is suitable for
vegans and vegetarians .
Price 20 € Score 91/100
- So, Three Cabernets Walk Into a Seafood Restaurant (manoavino.com)
- “The 2013 harvest for the Tenuta Il Poggione will be an excellent vintage.” (montalcinoreport.com)
- Cabernet vs. Merlot: Which one should I get? (podilatokafe.wordpress.com)
- Abeja Cabernet Sauvignon – Columbia Valley 2010 (worldclasswinesoregon.wordpress.com)
- Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Grapes, Flavor Character History (widisuccesfull.wordpress.com)
- Winery and recipe of the month: Moris Farms & the Winemaker’s Spaghetti (maremmablog.com)
- Gusto Italiano (all-things-andy-gavin.com)