The Daily Meal has recently published on their website the list of 101 Best Wineries in America for the 2016. Looking into the list and if you stop at number #72 you will notice an Andis Wines. A little family owned winery, where I have been spending my days in the last 15 months and the news thrills me. Leaving Italy and moving to California have been a huge change on my life style. And working for a winery in Amador County the Sierra Foothills of California, when everyone was pushing me for Sonoma or Napa, has not been quite easy for me. Multiple time I have questioned myself if this is the right choose, but as a wise man would say ”Let matters take their course ”. Here I am now working for one of the top wineries in California and I have been proud of this winery before, and I will be more now, because a little recognition from the media does not hurt, correct.
72. Andis Wines, Plymouth, Calif.
Sacramento grocer and wine and food expert Darrell Corti, a member of The Daily Meal Council, hails this “newish winery in Amador County’s Shenandoah Valley, with exciting freshness to its wines.” The Andis vineyard was planted in 1978 and taken over in 2009 by real estate mogul Andrew Friedlander (whose commercial real estate company is the largest in Hawaii) and financial advisor Janis Akuna. Working with winemaker Mark McKenna, they built a state-of-the-art winery and began making what is probably the best sémillon in America, as well as excellent sauvignon blanc and a range of reds including a superbly concentrated estate zinfandel, a lush cabernet franc, and a spicy, chewy mourvèdre.
Below is the full list taken from The Daily Meal.
101. Jones Winery, Shelton, Conn.
100. Hope Family Wines, Paso Robles, Calif.
99. Old Westminster Winery & Vineyard, Westminster, Md.
98. Ste. Chapelle Winery, Caldwell, Idaho
97. Charles Smith Wines, Walla Walla, Wash.
96. Peay Vineyards, Cloverdale, Calif.
95. Fall Creek Vineyards, Tow, Texas
94. Peachy Canyon Winery, Paso Robles, Calif.
93. Center of Effort, Arroyo Grande, Calif.
92. Allis Ranch Winery, Sedalia, Colo.
91. Dolin Malibu Estate Vineyards, Malibu, Calif.
90. Bellwether Wine Cellars, Trumansburg, N.Y.
89. Callaghan Vineyards, Elgin, Ariz.
88. Staglin Family Vineyard, Rutherford, Calif.
87. Broc Cellars, Berkeley, Calif.
86. Channing Daughters Winery, Bridgehampton, N.Y.
85. Va La Vineyards, Avondale, Pa.
84. Talley Vineyards, Arroyo Grande, Calif.
83. Tatomer Wines, Santa Ynez, Calif.
82. Black Ankle Vineyards, Mount Airy, Md.
81. Bokisch Vineyards, Lodi, Calif.
80. Chateau Grand Traverse, Traverse City, Mich.
79. Pedroncelli Winery, Geyserville, Calif.
78. Seven Hills Winery, Walla Walla, Wash.
77. The Ojai Vineyard, Oak View, Calif.
76. Favia Wines, Napa, Calif.
75. Keplinger Wines, Napa, Calif.
74. Shinn Estate Vineyard and Farmhouse, Mattituck, N.Y.
73. Robert Mondavi Winery, St. Helena, Calif.
72. Andis Wines, Plymouth, Calif.
71. Wind Gap Wines, Sebastopol, Calif.
70. The Eyrie Vineyards, McMinnville, Ore.
69. Noceto, Plymouth, Calif.
68. Hermann J. Wiemer Winery, Dundee, N.Y.
67. Arnot-Roberts, Healdsburg, Calif.
66. Michael Shaps Wineworks, Charlottesville, Va.
65. Navarro Vineyards and Winery, Philo, Calif.
64. Scribe Winery, Sonoma, Calif.
63. Ponzi Vineyards, Sherwood, Ore.
62. Gruet Winery, Albuquerque, N.M.
61. Sandlands, Napa, Calif.
60. Chehalem Winery, Newberg, Ore.
59. Jaffurs Wine Cellars, Santa Barbara, Calif.
58. Foxen Vineyard and Winery, Santa Maria, Calif.
57. Rochioli Vineyards and Winery, Healdsburg, Calif.
56. Hanzell Vineyards, Sonoma, Calif.
55. Beckmen Vineyards, Los Olivos, Calif.
54. Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars, Hammondsport, N.Y.
53. Domaine Serene, Dayton, Ore.
52. Neyers Vineyards, St. Helena, Calif.
51. Swanson Vineyards, Rutherford, Calif.
50. Inwood Estates Vineyards, Florence, Texas
49. Andrew Murray Vineyards, Los Olivos, Calif.
48. Mount Eden Vineyards, Saratoga, Calif.
47. Barboursville Vineyards, Barboursville, Va.
46. DeLille Cellars, Woodinville, Wash.
45. Ken Wright Cellars, Carlton, Ore.
44. Tensley Wines, Los Olivos, Calif.
43. Boundary Breaks Vineyard, Lodi, N.Y.
42. Red Newt Cellars, Hector, N.Y.
41. St. Supéry Vineyards and Winery, Rutherford, Calif.
40. Sandhi Wines, Santa Barbara, Calif.
39. Evening Land Vineyards, Dundee, Ore.
38. Duckhorn Vineyards, St. Helena, Calif.
37. Domaine de la Côte, Lompoc, Calif.
36. Patz & Hall, Sonoma, Calif.
35. Bergström Winery, Newberg, Ore.
34. Copain Wines, Healdsburg, Calif.
33. Spottswoode Winery, St. Helena, Calif.
32. Acorn Winery, Healdsburg, Calif.
31. Corison Winery, St. Helena, Calif.
30. Stony Hill Vineyard, St. Helena, Calif.
29. Forlorn Hope, Napa, Calif.
28. Saxum Vineyards, Paso Robles, Calif.
27. Mayacamas Vineyards, Napa, Calif.
26. Littorai Wines, Sebastopol, Calif.
25. Château Montelena Winery, Calistoga, Calif.
24. Matthiasson Winery, Napa, Calif.
23. Qupé Winery, Los Olivos, Calif.
22. Andrew Will Winery, Vashon, Wash.
21. Bonny Doon Vineyard, Santa Cruz, Calif.
20. Schramsberg Vineyards, Calistoga, Calif.
19. Chanin Wine Co., Los Alamos, Calif.
18. Diamond Creek Vineyards, Calistoga, Calif.
17. Dunn Vineyards, Angwin, Calif.
16. Massican Winery, Calistoga, Calif.
15. Shafer Vineyards, Napa, Calif.
14. Linden Vineyards, Linden, Va.
13. Woodward Canyon Winery, Lowden, Wash.
12. Caymus Vineyards, Rutherford, Calif.
11. Turley Wine Cellars, St. Helena and Templeton, Calif.
10. Robert Sinskey Vineyards, Napa, Calif.
9. Domaine Drouhin Oregon, Dayton, Ore.
8. Leonetti Cellar, Walla Walla, Wash.
7. Smith-Madrone Vineyards and Winery, St. Helena, Calif.
6. Heitz Cellar, St. Helena, Calif.
5. Quilceda Creek, Snohomish, Wash.
4. Calera Wine, Hollister, Calif.
3. Au Bon Climat Winery, Santa Barbara, Calif.
2. Tablas Creek Vineyard, Paso Robles, Calif.
1. Ridge Vineyards, Cupertino, Calif.